Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Introduction

This blog is a complete n00bs guide to setting up a Windows Vista, AMD-based laptop to Dual-boot Vista and OSX and install the iPhone SDK successfully. I used an HP tx2117cl tablet computer to install this, so if you're using a different laptop, some things WILL BE different. Most of this will apply to the tx1000 series of tablets also. The main part that will be different for other laptops or desktops is what distribution of Leopard to install. If you are looking to buy a computer to do iPhone development and don't want to shell out the money for a mac, then you could go to Sam's Club and get the exact laptop I'm using for around $900. For the purposes of this blog, I will give exact instructions for my laptop only. Once you get Leopard up and running, everything else is pretty generic. I will add in tips wherever I can to help everyone not using the same laptop as me. Just for the record, this has been THE PERFECT computer (for me) to dual-boot these OSes. I get all the tablet functionality in Vista and most of the OSX functionality there. Also I have the benefit of having the native development environment, but I can go back to Vista for everything else I need.

This blog is NOT a support center. I'm dedicating very little time to it since I'm trying to learn a new programming language and make a hot new iPhone game. Feel free to ask questions since other people will read this, I'm sure. If your question is easy enough or I just happen to have time on my hands when you ask a question, I may answer it. Since I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to this, I'm not 100% I should even do it, but there seems to be lots of confusion out there about how someone with a Vista machine can develop iPhone apps without buying apple hardware. If you have problems, some good places for help are InsanelyMac or ModMyi

If you're planning on writing apps for Cydia or Installer e.g. non-AppStore apps, this blog is not for you. Just lookup instructions on installing the gcc toolchain, I haven't done it, but I'm sure it'll be much easier. If you are developing an AppStore app, then this will be the best way to go. It's also the best way for a beginner (like myself). Also I don't know how you'd sign your apps without the OSX environment anyway.

After installation of the OS and SDK is complete I will also have as many links (non-Apple) as possible to tutorials for Objective C. I have a background in Qbasic, Visual Basic, Java, and C and Objective C is very very different. I am very impressed with the instructionals Apple provides, but for someone with very little Object Oriented programming experience, it's a challenge. It's probably more of a challenge since I'm used to non-object oriented programming.

For Reference purposes, here's my tablet's specs:

AMD Turion 64 TL-62 @ 2.1 GHz

3GB RAM

250GB WD Hard Drive

Nvidia GeForce Go 6150

Nvidia nForce Networking Controller

Nvidia nForce SATA controller

Next post will be Required Software and where to get it


No comments: